Thursday 13 September 2012

I have been asked....?

What do you do when, or more likely in my case if, a friend asks you to make them something.

I know many bloggers swear never to do this. But for me I jumped at the chance, even though it is for a very special event.

My friends' only child is getting married. Now I can almost here you screaming at your computer "No this is a very special day, and its the mother of the groom." But hear me out please.

She is on an extremely tight buget and has been searching for months to find a dress. Coming across a problem that most of us do with store clothes, one size on top another size below. She has seen everything that I have made so she is aware of my skill level. Is she mad, lovely, generous, forgiving, we will find out later and hopefully she is all of them.

Ok so what are the benefits for me out of this you may be wondering. Firstly I will be learning alot, pattern grading, fitting, lots and lots off new techniques. I rarely if ever, stray from the pattern, unless it is shortening a pattern for me. I think I needed to shorten my plain pattern dress by 18 inches and it was still below the knee lenght. And yes a mock will be made of everything to check how we are getting on. She was prepared for lots of fittings and prodding and poking. See I knew I needed a friend to practice all that on first.

Here are the patterns she chose

Burda 7387. The bolero jacket. My first time working with Burda patterns too.

And Vogue 2902. I must admit I was rather daunted when she picked this dress. I read the reviews on sew direct and wondered 'what have I got myself into'.

And how are we getting along, so far so good. I will leave the details for my next post when I will share the bolero and then later the dress.

Oh by the way she has chosen a lovely cotton black with white poka dots fabric. Soft but crisp, should drape really nicely.

So your first reflections,
who is the maddest her for asking me or
me for offering?

And what would you do? Have you ever fitted an outfit for someone and how did the first time go (pardon the expression, )?

Love to all Vala x  

   

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful, its sometimes really helpful to have a deadline and someone other than your self to please when sewing. I have made things for people a few times and things have so far been OK, I find I get more fussy than them wanting to get it as good as I can, where as they generally don't notice small things that seem glaringly obvious to me! Look forward to seeing the result! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found I have taken more care and learnt some new things by doing this. It has deffinatly been worth it .

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...