Tuesday 2 August 2011

New Favourites, Old Fears and Loud, Loud Fabric.

Firstly I would like to say welcome to my new followers, it's lovely to have you here.

I have been quiet lately due to working hard on the project I am just about to show. I think this is going to be a favourite of mine. I enjoyed it so much I have already ordered enough fabric to make 3 more.

This is my third go at making an item from a pattern. Its McCalls 2149
I made view E. With the 'grandad' style colar and short sleeves.

I haven't taken any during shots as I didn't do any 'tweaking' and followed the pattern closely. There were times when I felt I wasn't so much as following the instructions as much as translating them. But I think this is more due to my knowledge than the pattern instructions. Which is why this shirt has taken more than a week to complete. However I am still chuffed with what I have done so far.

As my chosen fabric ( well actually I didn't choose the fabric, The lovely Mr S did, after all it is for him.) cost only £3.30 a meter it's cheaper than calico so I forgo the toile and went straight ahead.
This is the almost finished shirt.

Betsy is my size (well actually she's a bit bigger than me. The smaller version of her i.e child's size was alot more expensive. It's not always a good thing being petite.) And the lovely Mr S is 6'2" and a 42" chest. So the shirt kinda hangs but I hope you get a good impression of it.

On the front left is a pocket, I choose the mermaid as the detail for this.

And here are some more pictures of the pattern in detail mermaids, horseshoes, anchors, tattoo symbols,


As I mentioned earlier it's almost finished. I need to add the buttons and buttonholes. However thats a new scary unattempted task, so I am thinking of cheating. Ether add the buttons to the outside and then put press studs underneath (Mr S likes this idea, ) Or today I thought of sewing the front together up so far like a polo shirt and adding the mock buttons. Mmmm decissions.

I have learnt some important lessons while working on this shirt.
  • I need to practice button holes before I make this shirt again in more expensive fabric.
  • I need to stop being such a scaredy cat and learn to use my overlocker. ie Take out of the box and read instructions.
The fabric I have on order for the next two shirts is from Fancy Moon, again they are both quite loud.
One has pin-up girls in witch and devil costumes.

Then we have 50's sci-fi poster art.

And when I have truely concured all my fears it will be the Liberty fabric

Even though I have the fabric on my shelf, this will not be touched until I am alot more confident in my skills, messing up 3meters of £3.30per M worth of fabric = shoulder shrug, ah well
messing up 3 meters of £21per M of fabric= big big temper tantrums and tears.

It's margarita time for me, Happy Sewing,
Sew Vala. x
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...