Wednesday 7 September 2011

Decisions on Plain Pattern Project.

Well after yesterdays non starter on this sew-along. I used my time to play about with the settings on my blog. I hope you like the changes. To me it feels fresher and a bit brighter, just what was needed on such a gloomy day. It really lifted my mood and helped to get me ready to start the project again.

I went through my patterns looking for something plain pattern. I have chosen
Butterick 6747 from 1953


I have chosen view B. My fabric is similar to the floral on the cover so this will be covering part three.
the dress is plain only six pieces altogether (it would be 8 if making view A, for the pockets).
And I have never made a dress before.
The pattern pieces.

This is an orginal pattern from 1953 and the condiction of it fantasic, just take a look at the instruction sheet.




Now ok, the image shows to shorten / lengthen at the hem. Look closely at the lenght of the finished dress in the pictures. Now look at the pattern next to me,



I have had to shorten this by 8 inches. WOW. That feels like alot.


Am I surprised, not really. Thats why I wanted to learn how to make clothes.


Anyway I digress,


Pattern pieces cut out.

And here it is pinned to Betsy to get an idea of the lengh and fit.

Today I hope to finish this dress, apart from the 3 day hanging, before finishing the hem.


 I have heard this is very important , but I am not sure why,
Any ideas...?

SewVala.







 


5 comments:

  1. Hi, saw your interfacing concern on sewretro. It looks like the collar is sewin center back and stitched to the front at according notches. Like this:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iqG65Imthkc/TT9I3ECq2NI/AAAAAAAAFRY/kmkrXEoUcSo/s1600/2.jpeg

    Without seeing the instructions, I can't tell if Im responding to your question correctly. Interfacing I always sew to the facing fabric. Instructions are neither here nor there for that :)
    Hope this helps and this is gonna look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there NVL.
    the pic was just like my instructions, How cool is it that you can just look at a dress and see how it's made. Thats awesome.
    So I slept on it and it turns out it is like the loud skirts I have made but a different construction method.
    First sew the infacing to the dress then flip over then sew on the facing. Whereas the shirts were infacing to facing then attached. I think I prefare this method too, The dress facing went all wonky when I attached the facing, luckly its inside. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry that should be shirts, not skirts. Havent attempted those yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So even though your dress is all finished and photographed, I thought I would reply to your question about why hanging a dress for 3 days before hemming is important. It's not. The idea only applies to circle skirts where part of the skirt is on the bias and part is on the straight grain. And then, it might be important only if the cloth has some weight to it like wool. But for a simple cut and a stable weave, don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Francesca, This means I can in future crack on and finish a dress and not leave it for a couple of days taunting me. Cool stuff. Because I think it will be a while before I attempt the bias cutting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...