Tuesday 19 June 2012

Pikacho Hoodie - part 2, ears how hard can they be?

Well I was certainly fooled into thinking 'yeah I can draft ears, no problem.'

It all started out so simply, ears drafted to the length my daughter wanted. adding seam allowances to width and length so the black tips were still in proportion.

And then it all went downhill.

Ok, so first I cut the black tip as a triangle and sewed it on. Do not know how this happened, it went terribly wonky. The ear does curve and so does the tip, but it is not supposed to curve that much.

 Unpick and start again. This time I sewed the yellow ear to a square in the hope of cutting out the tip shape after.

This was better but I had miscalculated the size of the square and the angle. So unpicked and tried again.

Yeah success with the first ear. And as I had already done it so many times I forgot the other side of the ear curves in the other direction. So yep, got the wrong angle again. Back to unpicking.

Finally, I had a set of ears. I did each pair separatly so I that I did not sew two front or backs together. I cut out the tip shape and trimmed the excess black fabric to create a neat seam. Kwik sew patterns have a 6mm seam allowance, tiny compared to the other pattern manufactures. But I found this ok, when I make my handbags some times there is only a 2mm seam allowance it can be any bigger otherwise the fabric will be too big to fit in the frame.

I digress, back to ears.

 I cut out the interfacing larger than I needed then I sewed around the edge. Again this is I trick I have learnt from bag making and it works very well.

A set of ears sewn together inside out the medium interfacing on both sides gives them a nice puffy look.

It took way longer than I expected, and many more mistakes than I would have liked (over and over).
But I got there in the end. A pair of Pikacho ears. Now wheres the beer.

Happy sewing Sew Vala. x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...